Jake represents companies subject to inquiries, investigations, and actions brought by regulatory agencies, such as state attorneys general and the Federal Trade Commission. He also advises businesses about advertising, marketing, regulatory compliance, privacy, and cybersecurity. Jake has significant experience with laws regulating the collection, storage, and use of private consumer data.
Before joining Newman LLP, Jake served eight years as an Assistant Attorney General in the Consumer Protection Division of the Washington State Attorney General’s Office. There, he prosecuted unfair and deceptive business practices including online advertising, negative-option marketing, spam under state law and the federal CAN-SPAM Act, spyware, and consumer-privacy violations. With a background and degree in science, Jake also pursued companies making deceptive health claims. Jake now provides our clients with a practical approach to maximizing effective marketing while mitigating the risk that government regulatory agencies or private plaintiffs will initiate legal action.
Jake graduated first in his law-school class, and served as a law clerk for Chief Justice Barbara Madsen in the Washington State Supreme Court. Jake counsels clients from the perspective of an experienced government prosecutor.
SecureWorld Expo Seattle
· Member, Executive Advisory Board 2013-2016 (http://www.secureworldexpo.com/seattle/advisory-board)
· Speaker Page: https://events.secureworldexpo.com/agenda/seattle-wa-2016/#jake-bernstein (8:30 AM, Day 1)
· Speaker, 2016, Cybersecurity Assessments and Planning: The Attorney’s Role
· Speaker, 2015, The Post-Wyndham World: Cybersecurity and the Risk of Government Enforcement Actions
Cloud Security Alliance
· Speaker, September 28, 2016 Chapter Meeting, A Post-Wyndham World: Exploring the Regulatory Risks of Failed Security Programs (https://chapters.cloudsecurityalliance.org/seattle/csa_events/september-28th-2016-chapter-meeting/)
Society for Information Managers
· Panelist, September 21, 2016 Chapter Meeting, Battling Against Data Breaches: Prevent & Survive a Breach without Becoming the Next Headline (http://www.simnet.org/members/group_content_view.asp?group=63405&id=608425)
Strategic News Service, LLC & INVNT/IP
· Sponsor and Contributor, Knowing China Event, October 19, 2016
NCPACA (Accountant association) Annual Meeting
· Speaker, September 3, 2016 Annual Meeting, Intellectual Property Protection, Cybersecurity, and Privacy: An Overview for Accountants
· Primary Speaker and Organizer, Spams & Scams! Learn how to protect your business and employees. (http://www.oneredmond.org/events/spams-scams-learn-protect-business-employees/) (Note that I planned and ran this event and included the FTC’s Northwest Regional Director, with whom I have a good relationship).
Northwest Credit Union Association Legal Symposium
· Speaker, Cybersecurity 101: Safety, Compliance, and Response
Premier CIO Forum
· Speaker, Hackable You, September 2015, Privacy and Consequences of Internet of Things